- Get into the happiness zone by breaking the cycle of unhappiness. If your energy is stuck and you are feeling negative it’s time to start expecting the best from life. Take action to break out of this negative downward spiral or you will only serve to increase your levels of misery.
- Stop trying to keep everyone happy. This is an impossible task which will decrease your self-worth and self-esteem; begin to please yourself.
- Become a smiler and feel the difference that this makes to just about every area of your life.
- Take time to smell a rose or two. If you are a rushaholic you will never have time to be happy; it’s time to slow down, wind down and simplify.
- Have fun every day or you might forget what it feels like to be happy.
- Know what you love to do and do more of it! This sounds so easy but it might take some planning. The more you do what you love to do the happier you will be.
- Be optimistic and be ready for success. Always look for the silver lining; optimists have a happy life.
- Challenge any negative beliefs. Cognitive therapy demonstrates how positive thinking can change our feelings and our behaviour.
- Use positive affirmations to help you to change any negative beliefs that stand in the way of your happiness.
- Expect to be happy and be ready to do what it takes.
- Trust your instincts, you really do know what is good for you; take some time to listen to your inner voice.
- Identify the voice of your inner critic and don’t let it get to you; recognise your true worth.
- Change any habits that don’t work for you. You will know what these are. If you keep doing the same thing you will get the same result. If you are looking for change then do things differently.
- Increase your motivation by encouraging yourself to take action; that very first small step will be enough to get you going.
- Focus on what really brings you joy and satisfaction; a meaningful life is a happy life.
- Recognise your own skills and talents and use them. If you are not in touch with your inner creative spark then you will find that you are on the wrong path. You will only be happy when you are doing what you are meant to do.
- Know what you want. Name your goals; you cannot go for what you want if you haven’t specified your outcome.
- Scatter your goodwill and happy thoughts about and you will feel even more fabulous (and so will everyone around you).
- Stop trying to be perfect. You will never achieve this whilst in human form. Let it go, you are good enough just the way you are.
- Always choose hope rather than despair. Hope makes everything possible and opens the doorway to happiness.
- Love and appreciate yourself and admire your strength of purpose; yes you really do deserve to be happy!
- Be forgiving of yourself and others. As you let go of past hurts you will bring a wonderful sense of peacefulness and calm into your life.
- Believe that love is everywhere and you will find it everywhere.
- Choose to be joyful. Happiness is a choice that you are free to make whenever you wish.
- Stop caring about what other people think. Be yourself; stop comparing yourself with others and you will immediately feel happier.
- Go for your dreams. How can you ever feel happy if you don’t?
Coaching and confidence boosting at http://www.lyndafield.com
Extracted from my book, Fast Track to Happiness by Lynda Field
Copyright © Lynda Field